Viewing the current status of the hardware in your PC is important to ensure that everything is working properly. Doing this in Windows XP is easy and once you see a yellow exclamation point beside its icon in Device Manager, then you might just have a problem.
Checking the status of different hardware devices can be done by going to the Device Manager and checking out the details available. If there are any problems encountered by your computer, a detailed error code will be displayed, as well as suggestive solutions for troubleshooting the hardware issues you are encountering.
If you are unsure on how to check a device’s status in your computer, below are easy to follow steps on how to do it.
1. Open the Device Manager from the Windows XP Computer Management utility option. There are still other ways to do so, including typing ‘Device Manager’ in the search box
2. After opening the Device Manager, search for the hardware device you like to check by clicking the [+] icon from major hardware categories.
3. After successfully locating the hardware you would like to check, right click on the text or icon and choose the Properties option, where you can see the device status. This will display the information and current status of your chosen hardware device.
4. If the device is working properly, the status will read:
The device is working properly. If you are having problems with this device, click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter.
5. If the device is not working, an error message will state:
Error Message (Code 00) Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device
The reason behind the importance of checking a hardware device’s status every now and then is not only to make sure that it is still working, but also to know whether or not it needs a driver update. By updating its driver, you can ensure that it will work the way you want it too and at the same time, enjoy new features offered by the manufacturing company.