One of the most effective solutions when a hardware is experiencing technical difficulties would be to update its drivers. This is a common way of dealing with hardware problems in Windows XP, especially if the device does not install automatically and when a Device Manager error code pops up. Besides, updating drivers will also give you the chance to enjoy additional features for the hardware.
Below is an easy to follow direction on how to update drivers in the Device Manager option in Windows XP:
1. Download and extract all necessary driver files from the hardware maker or manufacturer, but there are also other means of getting these files. Updating drivers can also be done via Windows Update, or you can use the installation disc that comes with the purchase of the hardware.
2. Open the Device Manager option from the Windows XP Computer Management utility
3. Locate the device whose drivers you want to update
4. Right click on the device’s name or icon, and choose Properties and select the Driver tab
5. Click the Update Driver option to start the Hardware Update Wizard
6. A pop up question stating Can Windows connect to Windows Update to search for software will appear, wherein you have to answer it with ‘No, not this time’ option and click the Next button.
7. Choose the Install from a list or specific location (Advanced) button and click the Next button
8. Choose the Don’t search, I will choose the driver to install>Next>Have Disk buttons, so that you can select the device driver that you want to install and update. From the Install from Disk dialog box, click the Browse button
9. Navigate to the folder that you have extracted from the driver download and click the INF file to open it.
10. Click the OK button and choose the ‘Select the device driver you want to install for this hardware’ option, and click Next. This will prompt the Hardware Update Wizard to use the instructions from the INF file to update the driver for your chosen hardware. If there are any additional instructions prompted on the screen, just follow them to successfully complete the driver update
11. Restart your computer to complete the installation and driver updated.