‘Windows cannot initialize the device driver for this hardware. (Code 37).’
If this happens and you want to learn more of the details of this error, you can do so by checking the Device Status from the device’s properties option.
Do keep in mind that this type of error is exclusive to the Device Manager and if it occurs elsewhere in Windows, there is the possibility that it is a system error code, which should not be troubleshooted as a Device Manager issue.
What causes Code 37 error?
The Code 37 error message is displayed whenever the driver for a specific hardware that you are trying to install cannot be accessed by the computer.
How to troubleshoot Code 37 Error
1. One of the first steps that you can do to troubleshoot Code 37 error is to restart your computer, since there is the possibility that the error is caused by a temporary problem with the device.
2. If you have recently installed a device or made changes in the Device Manager before the Code 37 error message was generated, there is the possibility that this caused the error. To fix this, all you need to do is undo any changes and restart your computer. You can also remove or reconfigure the device you have recently installed, roll back the driver to the recent version before you updated it, or use the System Restore to undo all recent changes in the Device Manager.
3. One of the most common reasons why Code 37 is generated is the corruption of the registry values in the CD/DVD ROM Drive Class registry key. If this is the case, you can fix this by deleting the upper and lower filters registry values.
4. Another possible solution for the Code 37 error is to uninstall and reinstall the device drivers for your hardware. Do keep in mind that reinstallation of the driver is not the same as updating it, since the former involves complete removal of the installed driver and allowing Window to install it again.
5. You should also try updating the device driver to fix the Code 37 error.
6. If all the suggestions above did not work, the next best thing that you can do is to replace the hardware device that is causing the Code 37 error.